Cook: Chicken Burrito Bowls
I love a one pot wonder and not for the least because it minimises washing up. Nope, what I really love is how little effort I have to put in to create something spectacular. These chicken burrito bowls are no exception. In fact, it’s so good, my housemate has already asked me to teach him how to cook it because otherwise what on earth will he eat while I’m in France?
I admit, some of the ingredients are a little harder to come by than most, but they are totally worth it, should you be able to track them down. Tinned black beans, for instance, can be picked up at most Asian supermarkets for next to nothing and I found tinned chipotle chillies at Duffy’s supermarket on Oxford St, (edit: Duffy’s has closed down, but Maloney’s on Crown Street and Salts Meat Cheese in Alexandria stock them) but if you’re not into spicy food, skipping the chilli is not going to make or break the dish one way or another.
The rice in this dish soaks up the spicy tomato-based sauce like a dream and adding black beans to rice creates a perfect protein, so there’s no need to feel guilty about all those carbs! Plus, carbs = life.
Considering my housemate is about 6’3 and a total gym junkie, I was surprised that this dish made enough for us to have dinner, then lunch for work the next day and STILL have leftovers for the weekend. In fact, you could totally pull this one out at a casual dinner party and not have to worry about people not getting enough food.
I totally didn’t have a pan big enough for this dish, so threw a roasting tray on the hob instead. It’s totally safe, as long as it isn’t ceramic – just be sure to use a teatowel or oven mit if you find you need to move the tray – as there’s no heatproof handle like on a frying pan!
Chicken Burrito Bowls
- 2 chicken breasts, diced into bite size chunks
- 3 tbs olive oil
- 1 brown onion, diced
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed (kidney beans should work here in a pinch!)
- 1 small can chipotle chillies (optional)
- 3 tbs milk (only if using the chillies)
- 2 tsp cumin powder
- 2 cups low-salt chicken stock (you may find you need to add an extra half cup if you don’t use the chillies)
- 2 cups grated cheddar or tasty cheese
- Salt & pepper
- Garnishes: coriander leaves, diced spring onion, sour cream, guacamole
- Saute onions in two tbs olive oil over a medium high heaat, until they begin to soften, add chicken, season with salt and pepper and cook until chicken has started to brown on the outside
- Move chicken to one side of the pan, add the last tbs of olive oil and heat rice for about two minutes or until soe grains begin to golden slightly
- Stir in beans, tomatoes, chicken stock, chillies and cumin powder
- Bring to a simmer then cover and reduce the heat to low (I covered my roasting pan with alfoil)
- Cook for about 20 minutes or until the rice is al dente
- Taste and season with salt & pepper if required, turn off the heat entirely
- Sprinkle with grated cheese, recover and leave, with the heat off, re-covered to allow the cheese to melt
- Serve with any or all of the above garnishes